The history of Navenby's now Grade 1 listed church began in 1172. The church was greatly extended in the 1300's, almost to the size seen today. Of great architectural interest are the 14th century Easter sepulchre, piscina and sedilia which, together with the Founder's Tomb helped to gain St. Peter's an entry in Simon Jenkin's book - 1000 Best Churches. The large, clear-glazed east window is a valued feature, making the church light and welcoming.
The Victorians re-ordered some of the interior and added a porch, central heating, a prized Conacher organ and a Charles Kirk font. More recent additions and improvements, as needed in an active church, include a sound system with loop, a small performance area for readers and musicians, a kitchen and a loo.
Navenby Church of England School uses the church for four services each year. In addition to the pupils, over 100 adults usually attend these services. The church is also used as a resource by pupils for RE, history, art, English and worship and there is a programme of guided tours suitable for each year group.
In addition to the regular, twice a month, services, the church is used for concerts and outreach such as the senior citizen carol service, harvest lunch and Christingle services.
A team of volunteer cleaners, flower arrangers and handymen keep the church in good order. St. Peter's VCC organises many fund-raising social activities each year including a barbecue, soup lunch and monthly coffee mornings and runs a stall at many village events.
A short walk from St. Peter's is the church hall which is used for Church@4, an informal service for all. Various church functions and meeting also take place in the hall and it is available for use by Graffoe parish and the community at large.
We are a welcoming Church and hope to see you at our services - or we are always needing additional help with cleaning and social events so do come along.